Blog Pages

6.21.2009

The arc that bends towards justice - Backstory

~ ~ The following are excerpts from the sermon “We Are Keepers of the Dream” by Rev. Matthew D. Tittle. The words “The long arc of the universe bends toward justice,” which President-elect Barack Obama** referred to in his acceptance speech is often attributed to the Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. The original quote was written by the Unitarian minister Theodore Parker in 1853 and stated:
~ ~ “I do not pretend to understand the moral universe; the arc is a long one, my eyes reaches but little ways; I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. And from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice.”
~ ~ from http://bit.ly/114CzF
~ ~ ** President Obama has quoted that idea several time including yesterday's statement to Iran. This idea has become very popular and has been paraphrased in common conversation.

No comments: